Community Food Fridge
Humane in every way
The Community Fridge, the first of its kind in Niagara and the only community fridge run by a humane society anywhere, is located in the gazebo on the front lawn of the shelter. Those in need are welcome to take what they need, and community members are asked to donate what they can.
What’s ours is yours
Our fridge, like others, is a place where anyone who needs food can come to our Community Fridge and take what they need. We have a large, double glass doored fridge in a new room we built, out of a former cat gazebo. The insulated room is also equipped with 2 pantries to hold dry goods and some limited amounts of toiletries and hygiene products.
Why is a Humane Society running a Community Fridge?
Located at one of the busiest intersections of the city, we at the Humane Society of Greater Niagara saw this as an opportunity to help the community in another way. Having operated a Pet Food Bank out of the shelter for 20 years, we recognize that our pet food bank clients sometimes need a helping hand for their pets as well as for themselves. As a part of a strong community and a compassionate city, we felt this was a natural step and decided to capitalize on our location further to help those in need. A compassionate community is a stronger community. Through a newly forged partnership with Community Care of St. Catharines & Thorold, Community Care will help supply the fridge with what is needed and where they have extra resources.
How you can help
To continue to provide a steady supply of healthy, fresh and nutritious food, the fridge supplies will continually need to be replenished.
Our community members can assist our efforts by:
- Donating food to the fridge/pantry (see food rules below)
- Making a monetary, tax-deductible donation to the HSGN for the Community Fridge by:
- Mailing a cheque to Humane Society of Greater Niagara, 160 Fourth Avenue, St. Catharines, ON L2S 0B6, or
- Visiting the shelter
Volunteering with the Community Fridge team effort by:
- Picking up donated food from community donors/sponsors
- Cleaning the Community Fridge room
- Checking on food and disposing of expired food, turning over inventory and re-stocking the fridge and pantry